Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Making the last shot

I always want to make my last shot whatever I did just in case it becomes that. In high school I stated that to others and it was used to make things difficult for me.

Often in disc golf tournaments there is time to chat waiting to play. The question of aces often comes up and I state none to the surprise of those in the group. My lack of distance is definitely a factor in that.

This year I found out about a short course in which 6 of the 9 are easily reachable for me and two others can be reached with a good shot. I decided to make it a mission to get an ace in 2016.

I also decided to play in leagues to get more game experience. In April, while waiting for things to start, saw someone ace the short #1. In the doubles event he was my partner and on #1, I had an ace run where it came close. Later my elbow popped delaying my return to full tournament action.

Memorial Day weekend, I worked a tournament and a pro suggested I learn to use mid-range discs and going back to the short course hit the top of #4 on what ends up being days there with many ace runs.

Late June played an event and though I had my best score, did not come close to an ace. There were two aces at that event there both on a hole near where I was.

Played a doubles event two weeks later and a person in the other team in my foursome got his 59th lifetime ace. Having had an ace run skip off chains a couple days previous made me more determined and confident it will be when and not if.

Had a couple other runs seeing discs go under and around buckets but not going in and my focus went to an IOS event in an effort to finally cash for the first time in ten events.

Had an ace run in practice but did not come close in the event. I managed to be in a four way time for the last spot winning $3.50.

Next week had a disc clank off the front of the bucket while having many close calls after adding a couple mid-range discs to my bag which I got after helping someone move.

Last Sunday I went back to introduce a four year old to the game. I played two nine hole rounds tying my best score of 21 on the second one. The kid was interested in riding a trike and exploring a playground before playing disc golf.

An hour later we made it to #1 and on my release heard multiple pops in my elbow. It felt OK after but I knew it would be my last day for a while. At the end, threw multiple discs wanting to get an ace in front of them and landed another one under the bucket.

After more trike time and dinner went back. First round was OK and the second round started OK making a 18 foot birdie putt on one and a 15 foot par putt on two after a bad pull on a drive which happens when my elbow has issues.

The putter stayed hot and after a full shot on 8, made the birdie putt and a perfect full shot on 9, make the 20 foot putt to a bucket on a pole 6 feet off the ground finishing with 7 straight birdies for a score of 8 under 19.

The next day my elbow and legs were sore and after two poor nights of sleep, the pain is so intense I knew it was time to bring my disc bag inside and put it in the closet.

I will go back to that place on my way to a future game night with a Sharpie and instead of writing a name and date of an ace on the pole for the hole, inscribe on the pole supporting the course layout:




At least I made the last shot.





No comments: