Thursday, October 29, 2020

If only politics was the issue...

Many people with whom I associate run on polar opposites of the spectrum. There are those whose belief in a non plausible concept dominate their life including one who has been in service for over a half century and those who can identify with multiple letters used to describe people whose identity and preferences do not conform with standards that were set a long time ago and are no longer necessary to ensure the human race. 

Generally I fall in between either end as my realization of the non plausible concepts of a spiritual deity and eternal salvation puts me at odds with one end while lacking courage to explore opportunities to experience the full spectrum of life (even though I have been told that not having an uvula would provide me with the advantage of no gag reflex) and then shutting myself from them after realizing there is no physical desire to do so.

Having undergone a significant change in my ideals in the second half of my life has also put me in the middle and my learned ideals still occasionally come to the front even though the current version of me knows it is wrong.

Many of my ideas could offend bother sides of the spectrum and occasionally releasing them to public has done that.

What I publish and what I believe are significantly different. There are things that I want to slap myself for thinking. A former coworker who knows my filter is skewed has correctly guessed that there are things that I have realized would do nothing but upset people and I have learned to keep them under wraps.

Anyway, my sister made a post listing the political parties of two of my uncles and stated that in spite of their political differences that you can disagree and still love and care for one another and share a beer together.

Maybe in the 1970s when topics like inflation, unemployment, and the Soviet Union were the arguing points, yes.

After initially posting a picture explaining things then deleted to avoid an argument, my reply was "If only politics was the issue..." My sister sent angry text messages to me about that reply and I initially thought it was the picture I initially posted then deleted. It was the words. Realizing she was bowling in a league at the time and knowing how pissed I was when I got a text from her husband with two holes remaining in a tournament where I was battling for a title, I changed the wording to her satisfaction. :P

Today, no. The issue has no longer become one of politics. It has become one of respecting human rights, of ensuring that the human race will have a viable place to live in 50 or even 25 years (long after I expect to die). It has become an issue of a small group of radicals attempting to overthrow the checks and balances established on the US Constitution and turning the United States into the Christian version of the Sharia Law countries they claim the other side wants to establish even though the person running for president is more of a Christian.

I do feel proud that when my other sister who is as ignorant as my Michigan cousins posted a picture, I replied with an appropriate line Joe Biden said in a commercial aired during a Chicago Bears game immediately after it aired as a reply which she liked.

When thinking about it, since one of those running for president has not been a politician the majority of their adult life, it by definition is NOT about politics in the first place anyway.

No comments: