Monday, October 19, 2020

Tree Fiddy

After the PDGA stated points requirements for 2021 worlds events will be reduced to 70% due to COVID, I realized my requirement is now 350.

I generally say that number the same way Chef's father said it in an old South Park episode even though it meant $3.50.


As I dropped in a birdie on the final hole of the event on a cold, rainy October 19th at 50 Acre Park drained to the point where throws were going 20% shorter, would have declined to be in a playoff, and realized that the right arm was done, I reached that goal. This is how it happened:


Other than the Illinois State Championship where due to the luck of the draw I threw the first shot and the Illinois Open Series where I missed winning the MA50+ series title by three shots, I registered for the division based on ability as opposed to age since there were more opponents and opportunity to gain points. I also realized that playing some Sunday league rounds will be necessary as well.


I was criticized for doing both of them and for not playing in an unrated club. Due to arm fatigue/pain and the need to make money delivering food, I had to select when and where to play. That included not playing in two events I played last year both of which had novice players lumped into the division I would play.


Except for the round I played one year to the date I got divorced (and will likely make an annual event), every time since that announcement that I drove more than 15 minutes from where I was (home or on delivery) to play disc golf was either a rated club round, a tournament, or to practice for an upcoming tournament.


Had I played in the unrated club instead of a rated league and joined age specific divisions for every event, I would have likely not been able to qualify as my arm would have given out earlier.


Unless there is a significant change on my financial situation, will not be playing at the world's in Orlando focusing on points for the 2022 Masters world's in Peoria.


Though I want another shot at the world's after what happened in 2019, the main reason I wanted to qualify is to have a choice.


As I finished this post the day after physically exhausted and in pain, I realized it is best to give the body and especially the dead right arm much needed rest now since I want to earn points in league play in January.

No comments: