Thursday, October 8, 2020

White A player

For my second round last Sunday, this is how the 18 holes played to me:

4 mid range par 4

3 driver par 3

2 full approach par 3

9 trap par 3

What I mean by a trap hole is that a good drive will leave a player between 50 and 100 feet requiring a less than full approach to get par but to get closer will require extra which can cause an off line shot leading to bogey.

Though I knew better, twice I tried to get extra on a trap hole. Once I got away with it after needing close to the 3 minutes allowed to find a disc. The other time ended up with a double bogey and a bloody leg due to thorns.

The other players in my group had the same issue. Six times our foursome ended up with all 3s.

For disc golf that is boring as holes that can produce a 2,3, or 4 equally are the good ones. The disc golf pro tour a few years ago realized that ladies playing the men's tees create a whole lot of trap holes and will have them play different tees, baskets, or in some cases, completely different holes from the men. A couple of them per round is fine but half a course is not.

What constitutes a trap hole varies by player. A good hole for a player of my ability is not one for a pro and vice versa.

Dellwood Canyons is one of the top rated courses in the world and the staff there are consistently improving the course. They recently announced a new long tee and basket for #11 which makes that a longer and narrower hole than the initial one.

As a reply, I expressed a desire to appreciate the full course and improvements as I lack the ability to do so. Though I can play the full version, it would be a waste of my time.

Most holes there now have a blue tee that is longer than the white one along with a B pin which can add distance as well and in some cases, it makes many holes a trap for me.

For example #3 from the white to A pin: Throw a drive right of the tree in the middle and left of the pavilion. Find a path through trees and a light pole on shot two to get a putt for a birdie 3.

#3 from blue to B pin: Throw driver trying to miss trees and keep it in bounds. Throw another driver up the hill trying to miss trees. Throw a third driver towards the basket to give myself a putt for a par 4.

For one hole that is ok. Doing that for 18 turns into a grind. For a pro, the full course is a good challenge. For me white tees to A pins is one for me.

No comments: