Saturday, July 13, 2019

Two score and .... just two score ago

I really wanted to go to the twi night doubleheader between the White Sox and Tigers on July 12, 1979 but my mom would not let me go.

It had nothing to do with watching the team that finished 73-87 with player/manager Don Kessinger (who was replaced by Tony LaRussa less than a month later).

It was to attend Disco Demolition Night as local DJ Steve Dahl destroyed a bunch of "evil" disco records on the field between games.

As most know, those in the overcrowded ballpark ended up rioting on the field and the White Sox ended up forfeiting the second game.

Today in the Dr. Demento Show Facebook page, someone posted a link about the event and since Steve Dahl has recorded parodies (and even performed at St. Rita HS when I was a sophomore), it was appropriate.

What was interesting was the reply Dr. Demento posted. He stated that the disco sucks movement was not necessarily about the music but the non Christian lifestyle exhibited by those who enjoyed the music.

Though I find the idea of a God non plausible, I still found the ideals preached necessary and was against all disco stood for.

When I was 13, I knew I had a 1% intellect and expected to end up like the 1% is today and had the same thoughts then that the rich people who are putting profit over humanity have today.

Forty years later, I know that person was an asshole. I believe that had I solved phase 2 to profit in phase 3, that I would still be that person. Even today, I have to fight my learned instincts in certain situations knowing they are wrong.

During the 1980 presidential campaign my sister asked me who would get my vote between a qualified woman and an unqualified man.

I stated I would find a reason to consider her unqualified and vote for the man. Just enough people in certain states made that exact decision in November, 2016 and we are currently living in the dystopia that it has created.

No comments: