Monday, July 23, 2018

Dashing for dollars

After a couple weeks wait, I was accepted as a driver for Door Dash which is a service to deliver food from multiple restaurants. From what I could tell, the pay per delivery is solely determined by the total expected distance a driver is expected to drive to make the delivery plus additional dollars for busier times. Customers are also allowed through their ordering app to tip drivers as well. The money made is decent but not great.

My only issue is that due to their map/setup, I can't start working for them until I drive a couple miles from either my work or home even though I was assigned an order from the parking lot at where I live.

Over the past weekend (Thu-Sun) I had 23 calls:

8: For a fast food franchise
5: For an American based restaurant
2: For a Mexican based restaurant
2: For an European based restaurant
3: For a far Eastern based restaurant
1: For an Asian fusion restaurant
1: Did not get to me due to a bad signal and was reassigned to a different driver
1: For a McDonald's location that was permanently closed and the order was cancelled.

Been to the same Wing Stop and same Red Robin twice and two different Taco Bell and two different Portillo's locations.

Of the 21 I delivered, 11 were from places that I would not consider eating

12 were to a house
4 to an apartment including one to the 4th floor where I had to take the stairs to deliver to two guys who were playing a game on their tv
4 to someone working at a retail business
1 to a commercial business

One of the businesses was my pharmacist a half mile from where I live and another was a block from my house where I almost fell while carrying a large chocolate malt with my bag. I also delivered two high end Italian dinners at 10 PM and the man who answered the door was wearing boxers and covered in sweat.

I am mostly surprised by the amount of people who use this service instead of going themselves or making their own food. Granted last weekend was rainy so that could be a factor as well.

I have also realized that one of the best things about this is that while delivering, I am not alone in an apartment.

No comments: