Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Pain over fear

My phone rings:

Nurse: I'm making a follow up call on how you are doing with your recent eye infection.

Me: Though I was tempted to sell the azithromycin to someone stupid enough to take medical advice from President Trump, I took it and it was better a few days later.

N: Any other issues?

M: Medical, no. Just am in a lot of pain.

N: Where?

M: Everywhere.

N: What do you mean everywhere?

M: Right toe, both knees, left hip, back, right shoulder, right elbow, both hands. Just about everywhere.

N: Did you fall? What happened?

M: I decided to not take my arthritis medication since it leaves me immune compromised and would rather live in pain than fear.

N: Did you talk to your rheumatologist about this?

M: No. I did not talk to Dr. ***

N: Ok. Thank you

A half hour later the phone rings.

Doctor: Why did you stop taking your medication?

M: Explains same thing I did to the nurse.

D: You should keep taking it.

M: Since I am working, I don't feel comfortable being immune compromised.

D: You are still working? What do you do?

M: *Explains what I do and mentions note given to me by director of operations*

D: You should not be working. I will send you a note to give to your boss. I want you to take your medication even if that means you have to be sheltered at home.

M: ok

At least unlike the other doctor notes I have been given allowing me to stay home from work that I have ignored, this one does not waste any paper.

I realized my error was initially telling the nurse that I am in a lot of pain.

No comments: