Monday, September 9, 2019

Endgame

Unlike most, I was happy at the end of Infinity War as the universe was improved by the sacrifice that Thanos made. Because of that, I was not really interested in seeing Endgame knowing that Thanos's hard work would be nullified but 4 months later, decided to rent it from the privacy of my own home.

If you have yet to watch Endgame, this would be time to stop reading since the rest of the post will be about the movie.

I am aware than those remaining would eventually locate and with the help of Captain Marvel, make Thanos pay and it was brutal, simple, and anti-dramatic. However, that was only 20 minutes into the 181 minute movie. Then it showed people five years later dealing with the aftermath. It was a pleasant surprise to see that Banner was able to find a midpoint between him and the Hulk and that he was a scientist/celebrity.

I was angry to see a dilapidated Citi Field. Though I could understand the 2018 MLB season as well as other sports leagues suspending play for a season after half of those in the organizations disappeared but for them to fail to continue afterward in some form is not plausible especially in a world where other things appear normalized.

For me, Natasha running point talking with Marvel, Rocket and others seemed like a perfect place to end everything and roll credits after 35 minutes but then came the character that ruined it all. ANT MAN.

To be fair, it was not Ant Man in particular but the idea of time travel that he presented. My first thought upon hearing that suggestion was Back to the Future and soon heard Tony Stark say that and shortly after finding Thor and just before Stark said it, said Lebowski. When an overrated broadcaster of a Chicago baseball team that plays in a major league home stadium says something just after I do and annoys a fan of the other Chicago baseball team, that is fine. I really don't want to do that in a Marvel movie and though I enjoy time travel based entertainment, did not want it in this situation.

Much of the last 145 minutes of the movie was unnecessary sentimentality including recreating moments from the previous 21 films, having characters meet ones from the past, a poorly done crazy self sacrifice scene, and one last massive battle where those who were eliminated were back.

It took me four hours over three days to watch the last 145 minutes as I had fallen asleep four times during it (including at the start of the massive battle) and had to rewind the DVR to see what I missed..

I am glad I spent $6 at home as opposed to double that at a theatre.

No comments: