Monday, October 13, 2014

Columbus Day is NOT a holiday

Multiple times over the previous three days I had to tell people I have to work on October 13th which is Columbus Day in the US and Thanksgiving in Canada. I stated though schools, the government, and stock market are closed today, things in the real world are open.

This morning at 5:35, I was surprised to hear the train crossing and then panicked when I discovered there was a freight train stopped on the tracks on the street just east of where I now live. When I left the driveway, I realized others have the same issue and my normal 8 minute commute took 25 minutes and I was late for work. Here is a map showing my route (normal in orange, today's in green, and the X marked where the train made the crossing impassable.)

 
 
Note: I am travelling east to west or right to left on the map and this only shows the first third of my commute.

No comments: