Friday, March 27, 2009

My inner Opus



Note: JoCo = Jonathan Coulton

My favorite December special is A Wish For Wings That Work. It features Bill the Cat and Opus the penguin most notably from comic strips Bloom County and later Outland.

Since it was made in 1991, I do not feel guilty about spoiling because I am going to talk about the episode and if you have not seen it by now, you should:

The idea is that Opus is unable and really wanting to fly like those around him and his attempts end up failing spectacularly causing him to receive much grief from those around him who do fly.

What ends up happening is that a situation arises where Opus's ability to swim saves the day as the wings of a penguin are designed for swimming instead of flying.

OK, what does that have to do with this post? I do enjoy music and love the idea of singing. However, my inability to determine pitch or tone won't allow me to do it competently. I did try to learn how but knowing what to do and being able to do it are two different things.

It has caused me unnecessary anguish and frustration and until I realized I show every symptom of a person with Asperger's syndrome including tone deafness, I had no clue why.

It makes sense to work on what a person can do well and not worry about what a person can't and to trust the intentions of those one calls friends.

No comments: