Monday, July 27, 2026

Another goal reached

In 2020, I played my first Illinois Sate Championship still feeling confident from how 2019 ended and after almost 4 shots better than rating my first round, was expecting round two at Highland Park (in Joliet) to go from there. I was so pumped up, my opening drive with my 139g Katana which was capable of going 25 feet farther went 75 feet right of where I was aiming and was so off line, it could not be found and the round ended up worst in the field.

The next year was a similar outcome most remembered by hitting the same tree in my second round on Highland Park 15 three shots in a row.

In 2022, I signed up late knowing that I was heading to the worlds in Peoria after and woke up that day feeling awful and played a horrible first round and what I was worried might be COVID (which I tested negative) was actually caffeine withdrawal. Round two went well at Highland.

On the last half dozen holes during round one of the 2023 event, something clicked and with birdies on 5 of the last 8, took my first ever solo round one lead in a B tier event. For some reason, I was not listed first on the lead card for round two and that along with nerves wrecked me during an ugly round. The following weekend was when my right knee gave out and management of that joint became a priority along with having to change how I throw putts.

Eventually I figured out what I did right that day and can now consistently expect 25 more feet from my drives which is the main reason my game has improved over the past three years.

Since the Dellwood Masters event was the week before the 2024 IL States and I was avoiding back to back weeks of two round events, I decided it was best to not push my knee at that event.

As my rating was in the 890s in 2025 when I was eligible for MA60, states became my focus after the worlds and the two practice rounds at Highland were significantly better than any I had played either in practice or at the event. Though my first round at Highland Park was my second best there of the 5 played in the event, it was not good and I was 8 out of first. Round two at Dellwood was much better with birdies 3 of the first 4 and 6 of the first 11 but a couple bogeys sealed my finish as a distant fourth.

After I realized that with my work and potential family situation, playing Masters Worlds in late September 2026 was not a good idea, my focus became the 2 summer B tiers being the Dellwood Clash at the Canyons and the IL States. Clash went well after figuring out things the back nine of the flex start event the day before round one before and it took a nine birdie round two to beat me by one when my 40 foot attempt on the final hole to get into a playoff nicked a chain as it went by.

The 2026 IL States Championship was taken over by the Joliet area club which decided to add the Oaks course to allow for more players and the MA60 division was among those moved from Highland Park to the Oaks. Since the amateur divisions 60 and older were grouped with female amateurs and the lowest regular amateur level, both the Oaks and Dellwood were being played from the short tees for most holes. Playing Dellwood flex starts back to back weekends to start July which both included multiple red tees was a big help along with having the week before on vacation.

Though I threw multiple shots from the red tees at the Oaks the previous December 24th, I needed to practice there so the Saturday before was spent there playing the event layout and seeing what discs work and when done with the round, went back and played multiple holes again leaving fatigued. After I drove south to Elwood to visit my dad's spot, I headed home. At a red light a couple miles from home, I flexed my tired legs and the inside of my left knee popped loudly. Though it initially felt OK, I could tell later it was not well. The next morning, I needed a crutch to get out of bed to use the bathroom.

A lot of my vacation week was spent with ice packs on my knee needing a crutch to get out of bed every day through Thursday and I was seriously considering withdrawing from the State Championship. I had also spent a lot of time doing multiple leg stretches against the wall lying on the floor trying to free up the muscles in the leg and between that and the muscle relaxers I got after straining my back, it was functional on Friday morning so I went to the Dellwood for the flex event.

Confirming the event was all white tees, I got there shortly after sunrise to throw from multiple red tees including 12 to A pin which I never played before. I realized the inside gap would only be used if I needed and ace and that similar to the throw to the B pin, the outside shot around was best. The event went OK and I learned that the Comet off 16 to A won't work as the tree was now hanging too low for the disc to get there and that trying to throw a putt to break right won't work. I finished with birdies on three of the last four the only par on 11 hitting one of the small pine trees in the way which will make the hole play more difficult 10-20 years from now when I will likely no longer will be playing. My final drive on 12 white to A almost went in on a fly from 320 downslope and I knew I was ready.

Saturday morning was round one and I was focused. Someone in my group mentioned that my rating is better on easier layouts and examination of that will be made at the end of the season. Two 25 foot putts early hit chains then the rim falling the wrong way and a third was just short and though I was 3 under after 11 from three drives within 8 feet, it felt like it could have been better. 

The next drive was again within 8 feet and on the island hole which was not enforced for our division that I still made, I drained a 25 foot birdie putt. Though I missed another 25 foot birdie putt this time from weeds, I followed that with a uphill birdie make from 12 feet that barely got there and later another from 12 feet leaving me 7 under through 17. My final hole #27 was parked last December 24 from the red tee but in practice, I couldn't get close and I knew to not miss left so it was pulled right and after a bad roll, I was under a tree with a bad stance. I gingerly got to my lie and chucked it to 15 feet then nervously drained the putt to finish -7 with a three shot lead. Rating was 2 shots better than expected and the best in the entire D pool which would make sense since by rating, I had the highest one of anyone who had played a round in 2026.

My Sunday goal at Dellwood was a good start since that has yet to happen at an event I was leading after round one. My drive on 13 red to start was lower than I wanted but it stayed straight and ended up 20 feet below the basket to the left. It was difficult to get a comfortable stance and thinking don't miss left or low and roll back down the hill, it missed right. Hole 14 white which I was 6 for 6 birdies this year left me with another 20 foot birdie putt which I over corrected from the previous one missing low and left off cage while the other three got birdie. Hole 15 left me 30 feet downhill that hit center cage low and once again, the other three birdied.

I stood on 16 tee with my three shot lead down to one. I remembered my shot from Friday and used a faster disc to aim down to go under the tree and that almost went in and got a birdie as the other three parred. Unfortunately on 18, I changed from the disc I normally use, hit an early tree, and went OB followed by a mediocre third shot off a guardian rock. It was a relief to make the 30 foot bogey putt and end up tied for the lead as a person rated over 100 points below me birdied.

I had a chance to go up one on #3 but my 40 foot birdie attempt hit the front of the cage on center. When I got to 4 red tee, I realized a disc was missing from the bag leaving it behind on 18. After missing the shot badly left two weeks previously, I made sure the turn over shot held its line but it did too well sliding OB long and right by 8 inches. After missing the 35 foot par attempt facing OB off the front of the cage dead center, I was down one. Fortunately before walking down to five I discovered the group behind me found my disc from 18 and turned it into the pro shop.

On #5, my dx Leopard started left of target heading towards OB but had enough snap to turn over and end up safe on the line 18 feet away. The stance was uphill and I knew a short left putt could roll back and again missed high right. Somehow, everyone in our group missed the trees from 6 red through a different gap to get birdie and I was tied for second down one with 6 to play.

My drive on #7 red was exactly as I wanted and was hoping for a skip ace but it hit soft for an easy birdie to tie for the lead and one up on third. I needed a max distance drive to have a shot for a birdie on #8 but it didn't happen and the person one behind had a 25 foot attempt. However, the person tied for the lead hit a tree on his first two shots getting a bogey and the birdie attempt to tie me faded left as a missed right putt had potential to roll down a hill and I was up one with three to go. My drive on nine red barely hit a tree but the two down one each hit a tree the player whose rating was 100 below was in a bad spot getting another bogey. The person two down missed his 45 foot birdie putt OB and the other one down and I got up and down for par.

With the wind on 10, I considered discing up from my Athena but remembered the mistake from 18 and after hitting the rocks was 20 feet away almost basket high. The person down one threw too fast a disc to 25 feet but past the basket leaving no viable putt and had to lay up. Knowing what was at stake, I made sure to move my weight forward unlike the previous two putts with an uphill stance and drained the putt dead center to go up 2. I made sure on 11 to get the uphill drive off the ground and threw my 2020 IL States logo Star Shryke to make sure it didn't turn over and it ended up 45 feet short of the pin. The person down two hit a tree and had to layup and once again, my birdie putt hit cage dead center.

I knew on 12 the only chance to lose my lead was to hit a tree so I relaxed and threw a one step Undertaker that worked best in practice on Friday morning that skipped off the gravel path and stopped 12 feet away and made the putt to win by 2. The 5 under par round was only rated one shot better than expected but it was nice to win a B tier this year after missing a 16 foot final hole putt that would have won losing in a playoff and another by one.

After I got my found disc from the pro shop, I thanked the group for turning it in and in retrospect should have asked them to join me at the awards and each get two discs from the payout since I am trying to get rid of discs and getting the Buzzz SS back meant more to me than the six discs I got with the $120 merch I won. 

While thinking about this later, I know multiple shots were better due ones ones thrown earlier in the month. However, my biggest accomplishments in the past three years were assisted by spending extra time throwing discs at the courses before the day of the event.

No comments: