Wednesday, July 19, 2023

When you wish ...

After the January, 1987 NFL Championship Game, there was a commercial featuring MVP Phil Simms showing him winning the game. At the end a voice over mentioned that he won and asked him what is he going to do next. The answer, "I'm going to Disney world!"

For three and a half decades, that commercial is usually done following that game and has been done with other sports including the Chicago Bulls first title in 1991.

After finding out the Chicago area Weird Al Yankovic 2022 tour stop was the Friday and Saturday of the 2022 PDGA Masters World Championship (ironically similar to his 2019 Chicago appearance after the previous World Championship I played) my brain had an idea especially since I got VIP tickets for the Saturday show.

Knowing that I am playing an elite event, realized making the cut was unlikely and a parody of the Disney commercial had to be made. If I have not shown it to you, here is a link to it: https://youtu.be/Iy8-9FEGKbQ

Fortunately my daughter has gotten to the point where she can easily provide "tech support for dad" and put everything together for me but I had to get the components.

Since there was a tournament on the course my event would likely finish two months prior, it made sense to record myself "not winning". With the help of someone working the event after it was over, managed four planned shots on the blue course at Northwood Park in Morton, IL:

Hole 1 tee hitting an early tree and me shaking my head in disgust

Hole 1 putt off basket going down hill long

Hole three uphill standing fairway shot off tree

Throwing my disc golf bag

Though I wished the hole one putt rolled away as opposed to just going way long down the hill, losing my balance on three and having to run down the hill to avoid falling was unplanned and likely the result of playing two tournament rounds on the hilly blue course.

The initial plan of a shot into the water on 6 at Sunset Hills would have required me to arrive Saturday and spend the night since that is 45 minutes away from Northwood Park but was scrapped. (Of course in round three of the event I did it twice)

There were three still shots as well: 

Tournament logo

Park sign: Which was edited two days before it premiered since the initial sign of the picture did not reference the event

Weird Al on stage

For audio, know the opening had to be from Luke Ski "When You Wish Upon a Death Star" with the clank sound of the disc hitting metal after the word a. The timing of that was perfect and any disc golfer could relate to it.

Wanted music that was mocking me and my daughter found Yakety Sax which was perfect though many my age know that from British comedian Benny Hill.

For the voice over, had many ideas and then realized Luke Ski as Gilbert Gottfried would be best.

At the end, wanted only the last four notes from the Weird Al song "Albuquerque" but what was up is fine. When the video was first uploaded, there was a copyright claim and the song was credited through You Tube.

I am grateful for Luke's help and especially for my daughter taking a stupid idea of mine and working with me (which I know was not easy) making it something worth showing people.

After the video premiered about the time I expected my event to end, I tweeted Weird Al, the PDGA, and the event itself hoping it would go viral but no luck. I tried explaining it to Al when I saw him the very next day as I had VIP tickets to his Saturday show but his reaction was uncomfortable which likely was affected by how difficult it was for me to try to quickly explain it.

No comments: