Thursday, March 14, 2019

Half a lifetime later (almost)

May 6, 2018.

After making a putt on #12 at Lemon Lake Blue that landed on the side of the basket and almost in slow motion fell the correct way for a birdie, I had completed the first six (having started on #7) of the fourth round of the 2018 US Masters Championship in 17 shots.

In the three previous times (and one since) had never scored a 3 on #7, 10, or 11 so the good luck that started on the second shot of practice was still going and I knew then the round could be special.

I was able to continue through smart play to keep things going while barely missing two long birdie putts. The same self pressure of staying clean (meaning no bogies) that was experienced on my 27th birthday reemerged for the first time in over two and a half decades.

After a birdie on #3, there was a par 4 which I never parred before or since but that day the drive went through a decent sized gap between trees, a second shot went around a tree to a clean line, and an approach to ten feet for a par which provided a fist pump to three confused players from Colorado, Georgia, and France.

My last hole, #6, is another par 4 that runs along the road bordering the course and it was not impossible to put a disc on it especially into a slight breeze. After the last vehicle, one that reminds me or a car I would expect to see in rural Indiana, passed, I started my approach noticing it was slowing. As my arm started forward, I heard the engine blast as the vehicle, according to those who were with me, spewed a black cloud of smoke. I then watched my disc fly 275 feet exactly where I was aiming.

My relatively simple 80 foot third approach shot was one I have made hundreds of times but never to complete the best round I ever played. After it landed five feet away, I was holding back tears knowing that on this day that all the pain, aggrivation, and FOMS experienced was worth it.

After returning to tournament central, I experienced something unexpected to me. People ranging from the Illinois head of the PDGA, the person who ran the course, and those I know congratulated me on my round and I did not realize all that was required as a reply was "Thank you" as opposed to a detailed summary.

My life has been so full of negative enforcement, ignorance and hostility to my successes, I had no idea how to react. On a PS4 trivia game, upon seeing 25 random letters, spelled OVERREACTION, I was booed or upon seeing a sports question, others complained. When I play that game now, I purposely miss questions or get drunk so I don't always win.

In 36 hours, my 2019 tournament season will start and since my rating now puts me in the upper half of most fields, winning events is no longer improbable and since I am usually not the obnoxious asshole I was almost half a lifetime ago, I will need to learn to accept compliments especially when deserved.

Note: Two months later still working on just saying "thank you" especially when complimented on a shot that I was not 100% happy with my throw.

No comments: