Saturday, October 27, 2018

The quest for 500

The one big thing I was looking forward in 2015 was the PDGA World Amateur Championship since I was qualified to play in the 50+ divison.

In late February when I confirmed that I was eligible, I went to secure vacation for the week long event but found out that the Friday was taken by someone who could not be off the same day as me.

Since he had the day first and after hearing that he needed it to bowl in an event where he could win a whole lot of money, I agreed to not go.

(Two years later I found out he went to the event to WATCH others bowl)

The next year I had the dates off but with my injury did not want to spend money when there was doubt I could play.

For 2017, I was all ready but ... the PDGA changed the qualifying requirement for my division as in 2016 there were 10 times the eligible players for the division and the ones who played were those who were able to register right when it opened.

Every player earns points playing in a sanctioned event depending on what division, what type of event, and how many players that person either beat or tied.

In '14 and '15, I played in a half dozen events which were enough to qualify for '15 and '16 as the points needed were 50 and 75.

For 2017 they made it 500. That means those who qualify play at least 10 events including large ones and also generally finish in the top half of the fields.

The PDGA wanted their am worlds to feature deserving players and not just the ones who were able to get on the site first and in '16 and '17, I was among those justifiably excluded from being eligible.

My first tournament round in 2018 was rated higher than any I played in 2017. (No doubt being at 10 AM on the first Sunday in March at the course for the following week's event and not in a hotel 450 mines away helped.)

My initial goal was the other major held in May which was open to any player 40 or older and I played by two best lifetime rounds there.

I then struggled in summer but in late August through September, started to get better.

During my first week at the new job, I showed someone the picture on my player page and noticed something. 433 points.

Granted the major helped but with finishing in the top half of 7 of the 9 non major 50+ events, I got more points than expected.

We were so busy I was asked to work on a Saturday which there was an event but I realized that 500 was doable so I declined and played.

Earlier today by finishing tied for 11th out of 20 in a rating restricted division since the event did not have a 50+ division, I got to 500 points and will be eligible for the 2019 Am worlds in York County, PA in late July. I will make sure I get vacation first so I will attend and my 2019 goal is to make sure I can go there.

To be honest, I did not really deserve to play in the worlds until 2019 but after looking at the ratings of rounds where I felt like I struggled, I do believe I belong there.

No comments: