Saturday, May 19, 2018

Making it special

I took the ratings from the last two rounds played at the PDGA US Masters Championship and applied them to every two round tournament I played on 2017 and the one in 2018 in MA50.

In the 13 events:

Won: 9
Tied for first: 2
Second one shot out of first: 2

I know that the comparison does not always transfer to other courses and my rating from the Masters when applied to last year's three round event at the same place would have had me finish 3rd six shots out.

What made the weekend so special was that unlike any convention that I attended, I was a full participant and not a spectator.

Similar to those who make music at Marscon and FuMPFeST or run an RPG at Gencon, that weekend for me was something that I had to prepare and dedicate myself to do the best I can and to see it turn out the way it did was amazing and beyond any convention I ever attended.

Since my computer has failed, I no longer do a show. As I don't anymore need to drive a bunch of people to conventions, help with the physical things my body now struggles to do, or even help with merch or props, I have mostly become a spectator which for me physically is more a struggle as sitting upright for a long period of time is more painful than walking while carrying a 25lb bag stopping to throw golf discs.

Yes, I updated the map that explains what food places are open what times and hopefully will have the nerve to perform my dumb parody idea on the main stage speaking into a mike (which I have NEVER done) at a music convention and will help others when needed but I feel more left out all the time.

My performance of Track 24 at Marscon 2014 was in a side room and not the main stage.

18 years ago today, I first met the people who became a big part of the third quarter of my life and I will see many of them in the same place I first met them next weekend.

Though these people have become more than an opponent or teammate and I care about what happens with them in the world, right now, FuMPFeST 2018 feels like it will be a thanks and good bye for me.

No comments: