Sunday, February 25, 2018

Second time not around

In early January, I had to choose to attend one of two major weekend events in 2018. Since both events require a large amount of money to attend as well as over a week of vacation time and attending the first one would make the second one more difficult as far as weight, a choice needed to be made.

Since I have never attended a major disc golf event before after missing out in 2015 and 2016, I registered for the 2018 Tim Selinske United States Masters Disc Golf Championship being held at the Lemon Lake disc golf facility in Crown Point, IN May 3-6. (FYI: In disc golf Masters means 40 or older and I will be playing in the 50+ men's amateur division.)

I know that my winning the championship is highly improbable as out of the 45 currently registered for the event, I have the 37th best rating and the top players in my division would be expected to beat me by at least 30 shots even at a place which I have played before. Thirteen of the other players have a rating that is higher than my best ever rated round. Similar to many that competed in the Olympics and others in "ball golf" major tournaments, I am going for the experience.

When I registered, I knew that meant losing weight since my right knee failed in the fall of 2017 and though I have lost 8lb since I registered in January, I still need to lose more. Attending Marscon would definitely be difficult for someone who is trying to lose weight as I eat poorly over 5 days most notably at Kahn's Mongolian Buffet.

To be honest, it was difficult last year to not attend Marscon especially with how bad my knee was. Though it was not the first time I did not attend a con after 10+ years, it was different. As I was thinking about it today and after looking at past posts about Marscon, I realize there are two major changes that have made Marscon not as special as it was.

1) Parties: The party floor at Marscon is always done well with many amazing decorations and themes. Between music, beverage, and college level "fun", there were epic moments. As much as I want to list some of them, the fact that this is written for my daughter, I won't but damn, there were fun times.

However, in 2018, the now 52 year old man takes medication that has been used in chemotherapy to make his white blood cells less aggressive to allow him to function with minimal pain. Alcohol with that medication or the pain medication that is occasionally needed does not mix and the idea of staying up past midnight now seems late.

The last time I was at a con party was the weekend I turned 50. On Saturday shortly after midnight, I felt old and realized no more.
2) Music: For 10 years, Marscon was the place to see a weekend of awesome comedy music being performed and it was unique and worth the 400+ mile trip and I am grateful for the work Luke Ski does to make it that way. Now there is FuMPFeST which is only comedy music. No real parties. No media GOH, no other items on the schedule to force comedy music sets to be cut short.

It is nice to see one hour sets of awesome music as opposed to a rushed 30 minutes as well. Even though recent Marscon GOH Rob Paravonian, Luke Ski, Judy Tenuta, and Brentalfloss are fine, they are not the Arrogant Worms, Paul and Storm, Henry Phillips or the Four Postmen (who are the 2018 GOH for the event held Memorial Day weekend). 

While Marscon for me is an uncomfortable 400+ mile drive or ride each way possibly in winter weather, FuMPFeST is a 5 mile drive for me in the summer and I have literally walked the direct 4.5 miles from my house to the hotel. Attending FuMPFeST is significantly cheaper for me and I get much more music for the money since I don't need to stay at a hotel.

In spite of all that, had the 6 horse won the 8th race at Hawthorne Race Course on Feb 19th allowing me to win $1,008 in an off track betting pick 6 pool, I would have seriously considered trying to find a way to get to and stay at Marscon.

No comments: