Thursday, January 4, 2018

The scribbles of life

Being mechanically inept shows in ways others don't even think about. No matter how many times I tried over the decades, I can't "loop the loop" in tying shoelaces. It also shows when I write or print. I am fortunate that in the 21st century that I can express myself from a keyboard or a tablet since using a typewriter on this paragraph would have taken 45 minutes due to corrections in thought and typing.

Over the past three decades, I have worked in a place where I often have to sign my name multiple times during a day. I state that if I ever became infamous that my autograph would not be worth much due to this. In the early 90s, I once received a phone call at work from a lawyer since I signed for three cartons of bowling balls four years earlier from a company that was suing the Professional Bowlers Association.

Signing my name has become less a hassle than it used to be. In the past, I would often hear a comment about my last name from someone who seemed to think that they were being funny. One time while making an appointment to get medical clearance for life insurance, the person on the other end said "You will get a call from a nurse Mr. Holmes" and then laughed before hanging up. (15 minutes later, I had a new company for insurance. I do make references about others last names but if I was dealing with that person as an employee of my company, I would not do that.)

I figure that being older has caused others to realize that I have heard it before and it is not worth the hassle.

Last week, I had to sign for a delivery that was late went to their website to screen shot to show others what time it was delivered. The driver entered the name Ken Shamrock. *sigh*

Last January, I got on a roll at the Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield on a old video game called Gorf. When I was done, I realized that I finished with a score that was the third highest ever achieved in that place. Excitedly, I scribbled my name and gave them my phone number just in case they had an issue.

When my daughter visited the place a few months later, she asked me if I was making a joke since the only thing that matched my last name was the "S" and told the person about it. When I visited it last Saturday after hearing others were there, I noticed the name was corrected thanks to Carrie who mentioned it and then I beat the score making the sign incorrect again.




The 50 minutes on Gorf was not all I played that Saturday:

No comments: