Sunday, September 17, 2017

Missing a shot

Today while getting my prescription, I was asked about my flu shot since they offer them there. I stated that my job pays for the one I will get in a couple of weeks.

Getting a flu shot was something that I avoided for years as I generally avoided medication knowing that medication can create a whole new problem while solving one.

In Jan 2012, I came down with the flu and missed a whole week of work though Thu and Fri were missed since one of the medicines I had was causing breathing issues. When my doctor called asking how I was doing, her reaction to my issue was to prescribe something else as well as expensive preventative medication for my wife and daughter.

I stopped taking the one thing causing breathing issues, did not get any more medication, and told my doctor that I will no longer seek her services.

That summer, my then 84 year old father started to deteriorate and passed shortly after turning 85. Less than 36 hours after it happened, I started to not feel well and declined to go to the funeral director with my mom. Though I made it to game night, I was unable to work the following day.

Two days later, I was diagnosed with pneumonia and ended up out of commission for the whole week after being unable to help with anything. I was also told that getting the flu in January contributed to it. Due to missing time for work, I ended up working the day of the memorial service since I was out of vacation days by then.

So especially since I now take immune suppression medication (originally created for chemotherapy) for my arthritis, I definitely get a flu shot every year.



No comments: