Thursday, June 23, 2016

Trolling the whales

On Facebook, there was an article about a high school girl who after being shamed about her weight decided to make shirts supporting those like her with a picture of a whale on it. Not liking that, I stated her energy would have better used elsewhere... (like losing the weight)

Replies to that ranged from wanting me dead to commenting on my Power Puff app profile pic, to posting a pic of me from a couple of years ago where I actually weigh less than I currently do.

I was going to comment and then realized I was wasting my time. Had I referenced the famed whale Shamu which I associate with fat due to the Weird Al song, I could understand the hateful response. This is what I was going to write:

Thank you for stating that I am fat. I know. In Jan 2011, I was approaching 300lb and after a whole lot of effort lost over 50 lb and it stayed off until July 2012 when life caused weight to be added as well as in the winter of 2014 when a hereditary medical condition emerged leaving me off and on in a whole lot of pain for a couple of years.

This March, I finally was able to get a working and stable routine with my medication and with that problem resolved, I have been losing weight again though currently I am nowhere near the point I was 4 years ago.

Anyway, I have to put a whole lot of effort into attempting to resolve my weight situation to get results. If I just accepted who I am like the girl appears to be doing, I could easily end up over 350lb. Every day I need to make an effort for my weight. I keep food for work in a desk at work so I don't eat it at home. Currently, there are Pop Tarts, Fiber One bars, bagels, and potato chips in the desk next to me along with the medication I take to offset the heavy duty medication I use to manage my medical condition and I have to limit myself even on days I get hungry or angry or both.

Less than 100 feet from me are vending machines which can transport a dollar or two into something tasty which can also make my day at work a little less irritable. There are also many situations where complimentary food becomes available and I need to manage what I eat when I decide to eat something, figure out what I can do in its place. When I leave my work, I have to pass about 2 dozen places on my 3.5 mile drive that could provide something I can eat.

Managing my weight takes a lot of effort and to be honest, many times I still take the easy temporary gratification of something I know I should not eat because I am tired or angry or bored. Even on a weekend where I walked 36 miles, I gained 2 pounds due to what I ate at a party on Saturday and before, during, and after the multiple walks I made on Sunday.

Right now some of the law creating representatives of our country are attempting to correct a problem instead of dealing with it. I hope that girl and others like her make the difficult choices I try to make every day and instead of dealing with the weight issue, try to correct it.

No comments: