Saturday, March 22, 2014

Define "First ever".

Being a juror for this year's Logan Whitehurst Memorial Award for Excellence in Comedy Music (official title) is something I consider a great honor being someone with limited ability to make anything that would be considered worthy of soch an honor. Since I was unofficially asked early last year, I specifically made sure to pay attention to all music released last year knowing that I would have to choose what songs would be deserving of that award. Here is a picture of 5 of the jurors and this year's chair imposed with the two jurors who were not at Marscon two weeks ago



When the month of nominations of songs and videos began I was periodically looking at the list and though the period still goes for another week and a half, I watched all the videos and made notes on my initial impression. Once nominations close and I get an email listing all the eligible ones, I will watch them again and decide which ones up to 5 get my vote.  For the two song categories (original and parody), I will listen to all of them and decide which ones get my vote though I have an idea right now which is subject to change upon songs which I might not be familiar and potentially new nominees.

The list of those nominated along with the form to nominate additional ones can be found at http://www.loganawards.com/nomination-list/.

A couple of days ago the channel IFC announced they are pairing with College Humor to present the "First Ever" Comedy Music Awards. Since the first Logan Awards was presented in October, 2011, the reaction from my friends was expected. Two past Logan Award jurors along with me and two others have replied to the article stating that. What really has me unhappy was that the music group Garfunkel and Oates (winners of the award last year) appear in the article along with the one video they made which I have written an past entry about.

Yes, there is a proper noun used for the show name and Garfunkel and Oates is appearing on a show with IFC so it is logical for them to be on the article but I believe the article implies the Logan Awards doesn't matter.

What I believe gives the Logan Awards validation is Dr. Demento's involvement from the beginning along with "Weird Al" Yankovic who was a juror for the first event.

Note: As of now, the Funny Music Project (a.k.a. the FuMP), the group that sponsors the award, nor any if its members have released any statement about this. The only thing that exists publicly is a podcast where two of its members initially reacted to the article late Thursday evening with them stating they need to figure out what to do.

I also have one additional thought after reading the many comments and replies to the people from IFC, College Humor, and Garfunkel and Oates about this: What would Logan Whitehurst have felt about this?

No comments: