Friday, October 18, 2019

A choice was made

I had to decide to play in one of two events in Indiana and there were things both good and bad in each event and with the entry deadline looming, chose to play in the closer event in the same time zone even though there is not an age protected division that I would be competitive. However, there are a couple of 50+ players who will be in my division including the one who while having the same rating at an event in June shot the exact same score for both rounds as I did.

As I looked at the 14 player MA50+ division for the other event this morning (including the person who beat me in a playoff in 2016 and the person who won MA50+ at an event I finished third last year,) I saw a recently registered player who could have changed my mind.

A top FP50+ pro in the area is playing in the MA50+ division. She has played in multiple MA events in different divisions and only plays FP50+ in elite ones. Her rating is very similar to mine and I would have wanted to see first hand how she plays the game and how "Candace" would do against her.

There is a Chicago area 8 time major champion FP50+ player and in the events where we both play including the one on Oct 27, her scores are usually better than mine but I rarely get a chance to see her play as we are usually far from each other on the course.

I then remembered playing little league in 1978 on the mound against a female batter. Compared to others who pitched, I was not that good and only took the mound when the game was out of hand but was able to strike her out and said something along the line that she should not be in the league which coaches and parents were not happy to hear.

I then realized maybe that is likely why the next time I was at the plate the first pitch hit me. Never thought of that in the 41 years since it happened.

No comments: