Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Working with a Linux mind

I have compared my brain to a Linux operating system due to its unique processing power but filled with compatability issues with other formats as well as filled with weird bugs. Here is a prime example:

Last week my company had a contest guessing the total employees across its 5 US locations with the closest not over winning a $50 gift card.

On the company TV channel that plays in the lunchrooms shows the 95 total people with either a birthday or service anniversary in February. Multiply that by 6.5 since February averages 28.25 days for all that would be here (28.241 over 1,000 years) is 617.5. I figured 50 on their first year not on the list (those from my previous employer have their prior service time included in the company service milestones) gives 667.5.

As I was writing my email with an answer of 666, I realized that answer could create a problem as some would interpret my deliberate anti Christian answer incorrectly as a supporter or Satan. That is incorrect as I find all beliefs in a supreme being (even those whose members are tortured because they believe in the "wrong one") non plausible.

I was relieved to see that all answers were shown and then eliminated until there was a winner. The correct answer was 668 and the winning entry was 615. Shortly after I realized had I just answered 665, I would have won the gift card without the potential headache.

No comments: