Tuesday, May 14, 2024

New number

The PDGA provides a number rating to a player based on their tournament or league round and is based on how their score compared to others who were playing. Unlike ball golf, higher is better. On the 2nd Tuesday of every , month, players' overall ratings get updated based on how well they have played in their prior 12 months. A general rule of thumb is ten points is one shot on an average course in average conditions.

Knowing how well things went for me in April, was waiting for this update and confirmed my rating is now 883, which is 3 points better than my past high point set in late 2020 and 7 points better than it was in March.

A rating is generally used to restrict participation in amateur divisions and provide registration eligibility for some events. However, my rating reaching this point does not change anything with this since a rating of 900 would be the one that would prevent me from being eligible for the division I usually play when not in an age restricted one. There is one event I might play where the cutoff rating point is 885 and if the trend continues this summer, I might have to move up a division.

A rating also can be used to estimate how many shots it would take a player to complete a course since it will take into account how difficult the course and conditions are that day. The same high rating (for me) of 933 that I got for a seven over par 18 hole round on a difficult course in 45°, wind, and rain was the rating six days later for seven under par on a 23 hole round that was 20% shorter played in short pants.

I checked the ratings of the 71 other players currently in the MA55 division at the 2024 worlds in 4 weeks. My rating went from 51st best to tied for 47th. The top player instead of being expected to beat me by 38 shots in 4 rounds is now 35 and instead of being expected to miss the cut by 11 shots, I would be expected to miss by 9.

There has been a pattern to me having higher rated rounds in colder and worse weather which won't return for a while. My weight which could be an asset in the cold could be a detriment in summer so every pound I could lose right now would help this summer.

No comments: