Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Major travels

For age restricted non female disc golfers, there are two major events every year. The world championship that people qualify the year before and the US championship which doesn't. 

In 2018, was good enough to justify playing the US title in Crown Point, IN but not eligible for the worlds.

In 2019, was good enough to justify driving 700 miles to play my first world championship but not good enough to fly to Massachusetts for the US.

In 2021, not good enough to justify flying to Orlando for the worlds or drive to Columbia, MO for the US.

In 2022, was good enough to justify driving either to Quad Cities for the US or Peoria for the worlds and chose Peoria then with help from Luke Ski and my daughter made a video making fun of myself since making the cut was not going to happen.

In 2023, not good enough to fly to Eugene, Oregon for the US or Flagstaff, Arizona for the worlds and would not trust myself navigating the AZ courses at 7,500 foot elevation.

Because of how I was playing this year, justified the 625 mile drive to Emporia, KS for the worlds but at the time a decision was needed to be made, not good enough to fly to Cary, NC for the US.

For the US title being held this week, in my current MA55 division would be by rating exactly in the middle expected to miss the cut by 3 shots and in the MA60 division which I will be eligible in 104 days, would be 11th of 32 and expected to make the cut.

That made me realize I am now good enough to justify flying to a major championship next year in MA60.

The worlds is 4th of July week in the Minnesota twin cities so driving there will happen. The US title is in early May in Ruinoso, NM. I can fly to Albuquerque and rent a car but elevation is 6,500 feet.

If I wanted go there, will need to be significantly lighter to give myself a chance to participate since at my weight navigating a course at elevation would be difficult. Even if I don't go to the US championship, will be making at least one other out of town drive to play a large event.

In order to participate in more out of town events in 2025 as the "young player" in MA60, will need to use the vacation time and money that would otherwise be used to to go Marscon and FuMPFeST.

Though my daughter and I were considering chartering a bus again through her company to pay her to attend Marscon again in 2025 and that others want to ride, that isn't going to happen as it would not be fair to the time, money, energy, and physical pain endured to get my game to the level it is right now.

As of now, my doctor wants to replace my right knee in early 2026 so the Marscon fun bus might be back on the schedule then since I would schedule my surgery so I could be on disability during the convention.

I am also aware that anything can happen on or off the course to an obese man with arthritis approaching 60 and that it is not impossible for something to happen to prevent me from playing.

If there is a question if would I rather compete in a major disc golf championship or go to Marscon, look at my Facebook profile.

No comments: